No title

What is Medical Laboratory & my Experience



This part discusses a brief description of the work that was done by me in the Laboratory during my  internship period. I have been working as a Trainee Medical Laboratory Technician from. There were 6 sections in the laboratory where I had to work on, and these sections are Microbiology, Biochemistry, Serology, Pathology, immunology and Hematology. In this part I have discussed about each of these sections in detail and I have mentioned about my internship goals that I wanted to gain through this internship period.

In this laboratory all the works are running with a procedure of computer system, so from sample collecting to release result all the work should be enter to the system. It means sample collecting time, sample running time, result releasing time and validation time and report releasing time. First of all, sample should be receive to the laboratory with reading barcode and it receive to the system. I started to work with the sample receiving and identification the test tube and lid colors. Then moving to my experience in the Biochemistry section I learned how to operate the COBAS C311 fully automated machine, how to load samples and what types of tests are done in the section, the reference ranges of each test, how to conduct maintenance in the machine and how the test results are checked and issued appropriately. In Hematology section and this section I have learned to operate the machines which analyses the Full Blood Count test and learned how to perform the ESR test which  measures how quickly erythrocytes (red blood cells) settle at the bottom of a test tube that contains a blood sample. Pathology section mainly deals with samples like urine, semen, and stool. During the training period of this section I learned on how to do a urine full report tests, stool test and semen tests and also learned about their reporting parameters, and reference ranges. When referring to serology section this section tends to have the secondary highest number of tests that are done in the laboratory. But, most of the tests are done in manually.  In this section I learned about these manual procedures and steps and how the maintenance procedures are done. For examples, I learned about the tests that are done manually such as blood grouping tests, dengue test and so on. Moving to immunology department I learnt what are the test in immunology department and how to sample enter to the machine as well as how much important this test like wise.  Microbiology section. Basically, in microbiology it mainly deals with different types of microorganisms and culturing procedures. So in this section I learned about staining procedures, the culturing procedures of blood, urine and other body fluids identify different types of organisms in specimens, the machineries used in the section for specimen analysis, preparation of culture plates and their quality control procedures. Throughout this internship period I gained a vast amount of knowledge in this laboratory field working as medical laboratory technician. It was a great opportunity to enhance my interpersonal skills, get firsthand experience in a working place.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment (0)

Previous Post Next Post